Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Guatemala_Building (Day One)




Today I helped out a team from Kentucky start building a house for Patty and her Mom. It's a 20 by 20 house with three rooms. Three of the men on the team took point with a majority of the construction and planning of everything, I tried my best to keep the three high school kids that were with us occupied. I have never been on a build site like this before, where you can't just run to the home depot and pick up some extra screws or rent that tool you may need. It makes things a little more difficult. I also felt like their was a lot of standing a round watching a couple people work. Maybe that's the nature of these type of projects or maybe it's my go go go, produce produce produce attitude. But, If I was not the designated translator to talk with Carlos, one of the contacts in the village were we working with, I would have been pretty bored. Now my spanish is much better then when I arrive, and can manage ok with misconjugated verbs and poorly pronounced words. But for me to be the goto in a situation like this was a little nerve wrecking, but actually enjoyed it. And it was a great experience to practice my spanish more. I will be helping out till friday and will hopefully have pictures of a completed house then.   

No comments:

Post a Comment