Thursday, January 27, 2011

Un paseo en Antigua

This morning I strapped my Flip to the shoulder of of backpack. It was pretty discrete, I did't catch anyone looking at me strange, as to say, what are you doing with a video camera strapped to your backpack. The following pictures are from my walk this morning. Some are good, some are ok, but their are better then the video which is extremely shaky do to the cobble stone roads. And the video really is not all that exciting. I hope these picks paint a small picture of what it is like to walk the streets of Antigua. As I said before the streets are cobble stone, their are a lot of churches, a lot of them, buildings of all colors, and some of the coolest wooden doors around. (Hopefully one of these day I will walk around snapping some pics of the doors I really like.) Included below are workings fixing the streets, the Antigua version of "The Casbah" (if your from San Diego you'll know) a woman carrying stuff on her head, scooter, small children on scooters (I wish I had a picture, some times their will be whole families on a scooter or motorcycle), a tuktuk (the three wheeled HotWheels looking thing), the central park, Pollo Campero, and some other odds and ends. Like everyday since I have been here, I feel I'm learning more about life in general then I am spanish. If your want to just look at the picture, now is the time to do so. (or maybe you already have, that's what I do) The following paragraphs move on to a different topic and then the pictures, kinda of, well I guess there a little related.






























Over the past couple days I have been pondering what people mean to me. This came about as I was thinking past this season of my life (that is, my time here in Guatemala). I thought about the coming summer and next winter, the next years, and the years past those. I thought about where I would like to be, what I would like to do, what things I want to accomplish. And let me tell you, a lot came to mind. But something keep bringing my mind back to where it was in the present. And it was this first week and a half here in Antigua that did it. Here I am in this really great city, it really is. It has fun stores, great restaurants, history galore, and is just really cool. However, for me their is just one small problem, I don't really know anyone in Antigua. And walking around Antigua with no one to share it with is pretty dull. My cousin Hannah is dropped of every morning and pick up ever afternoon. I see her for about 30 min. during our break time. I have meet some friends who, when I'm walking with them or having a conversation, things seem better, my soul is more at peace. However the friendships you form in a week and a half are nothing like the friendships and family you have had for a lifetime, they just are not. The friends I have meet are really great. I have so enjoyed learning about their childhood, their countries, and what they are up to. And can honestly say, my time here is better because of Iselin, Kesha, and Lyn-Marie. However, I don't feel like I'm going thought life with them. Two of the girls are still in college, and just at a different place in life then I am. Another has a career and believes quite the opposite when it come to matter of faith (Not that you can't be good friends with those who believe different things then you. I feel as Christians we need to have friends who are non-christians). When I'm with Hannah and Sam, I feel I'm on the same boat they are. Honestly I don't feel lonely with them or their family. I enjoy our time together at a lot. I feel their is a lot to explore here in Antigua, but it's lonely doing it alone, and quit frankly not very fun. All that to say, I believe God is finally seeing daylight through the brick wall I have as a heart. Their are rays of light finally exposing the simple truth that people are important, in fact, they are the most important. This, I can do it on my own mentality, is taxing and life sucking. Seeking adventure for the sake of adventure, when done alone really just leaves your bank account smaller then when you started. 


The reason I love home in Illinois so much is not just because I have more memories then there are corn fields, which I do. And the reason the north woods of Wisconsin will forever be imprinted in my soul is not because of it's beauty, which is has. And the reason Emerald Cove Camp is cause for excitement is not because you can spend a lifetime exploring in and around it and still have a ways to go, which I will.  The reason why I'm drawn to these different areas is because of the people who reside there, and the people I have shared experiences with there. That's it. Their is something powerful about friends and family who look out for you, did you get enough to eat, were you cold at night, want to go hiking with us this Saturday, I'll be here when you get back, were going on this trip, what don't your come along. When you leave church, you leave together and in the same car. You wait till everyone is seated before you eat your meal. Others know your struggles and temperaments, they know what to say when your down, and how to make you laugh. They know your favorite food, and what Gatorade flavor you like. They know you wouldn't be caught dead in a toyota (unless it was free) and that your 5th grade teacher was Mrs. Hagges. They know hugs are hard for you to give, your apathetic towards Dogs, and would be fine if cats did not exist. In a way they know you better then you do. I understand all relationships start somewhere, with a hi in the hall way, an email about camp, a soccer team, over dinner, or before you remember being held by the ones who brought you into this world. Relationships like these just don't happen. They are worked on and refined, torn down and build up again. These rays of light are the realization  life is better spend together, something many of you have concluded a long time ago, knowing and being known.  I have a GREAT FAMILY and I have GREAT FRIENDS, and making new friends is part of life, but I don't need to run from the ones I have. I feel God telling me to embrace those relationship, enjoy them, do something great with them, experience life with them. As I read over this, I feel I should have refined some of the thoughts before I posted it. But  I hope you all understand I feel movement on my value meter,the arrow is moving towards people and away from what every you would call the other side. And in thinking about my future plans as long as God gives me the green light they are going to be centered around people, not money, an experience, or fill in the blank. Enjoy your day and Tell some one your Love your care for then and are glad they're in you life. And if you have felt a nudge to write a wrong with someone, or send and email to that person at work, or take that someone out to lunch, they by all means do it. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Troyzer! In '96, I went to Antigua on a medical mission trip. There was an orphanage there that has an operating theater and we went to do hernia surgeries for people who walked miles to see the docs! The bouganvilla spilling over the walls was beautiful!! Enjoy your time there! We're praying for you!! Aunt Sherri in Tx

    ReplyDelete