Sunday, March 20, 2011

Guatemala_Fútbol

So I really wish I could play more soccer then I have here. I have by no means played a small amount, just wish I was playing more. Ever since joining a league in Oakhurst I have enjoyed more and more playing soccer. I really don't know what it is about the game that I'm drawn to, but I just feel really good when I'm playing (even when I do make bad pass, miss hit the ball or allow a goal, which is more often then not). Since being her I have been playing in three main place.

1. El Camino (The church I attend)
I have started helping out on Wed. and Friday afternoons tutoring some students from across the street. They are kids that need a little extra attention to grasp concepts and finish their homework. I work with Sam's cousin, Carlos, and his aunt Sarah. We have 2 to 6 kids each day and I use my limited knowledge of spanish to try and teach geometric shapes and the what infant and finite articles are. However after the tutoring session we usually have a little time to kick the ball around for 10 to 15 minuets (some time more if the wind closes the locked door with your keys in side). But this is a fun little field/court to play on. But it really does not play to my strength, which is speed, you can only go so far before hitting a wall. 
 


2. C.A.G. (Christian Academy of Guatemala)
Sam's brother, Alex, is the coach and athletic director at the school. So, up until the past week we have played pretty much every afternoon with the high school team. Their field is almost full size, I have come to find out, their are not a whole lot of regulation sized soccer fields. But this one is pretty close and most of it is in good condition. Right know is the dry season, so the ground is really hard. And when I say we play with the team, Sam helps Alex to coach and I try to learn as much as I can.  





3. I wish I new the name of this place (there is a large Gatorade sign painted on the entrance, so let's just call it that)
Every Sunday, Sam, Alex, and myself will head to the city to play under the lights. We play 8 vs. 8 on a shorted field. Take a normal field and instead of playing long ways, play the short way, that's the size. The field is turf, but it's not the soft stuff like at Granite Hills High School. The goals are smaller and the pace a little quicker. We play with some people from another church in Guatemala. They have been super supportive of me playing and I have not once felt like I was inferior due to lack of ball skills (well skills in general, there are lacking more then most). In fact it has been a very, very positive experience and something I look forward too every week. They (the other player I play with) started off by calling me Crouch. Peter Crouch is a talk, lanky, white striker for Tottenham. Thus, I was referred to as Crouch for the first month of play. Although recently they have been been just calling me Troy. But I scored a goal tonight. However, I did make a defensive mistake that allowed on in as well. So I guess it evens out. I really like coming to this place. We play for about one hour or an hour and a half depending on if their is a team after us. It's the best when we can play extra time because another team doesn't show. The place has a little food stand and nice places to watch the games.   


   

No comments:

Post a Comment