Monday, November 8, 2010

Land Of Lincoln

I have recently made it back to the great state of Illinois. Where the corn grows, rivers flow, and state troopers are in abundance along I-88. It's amazing the change that has already fallen upon me. I have always known the pace of life in the Chicago suburbs was more calming and manageable for me. That is compared to L.A. freeways and the progress shed in the Sierra. 


(Quick side note, the Sierra is often miss labeled as the Sierras. As strange as it may seen, the mountain range that runs along he eastern part of California is in fact one giant mountain. Thus it is singular, not plural). 


Allow me to continue. This knowledge of a more manageable pace of life has already manifested itself with in the 48 hours I have been here. I feel I can sit and, really, not do anything the world labels productive, all the while feeling perfectly content with where I am and with what I'm not doing. This new pace of life is already proving to be a huge factor in allowing me to, as Proverbs states in chapter 20 verse 4, be a man of understanding and draw out the purposes of a man's heart which are deep waters. The first thing I was able to do upon arrival to Illinois was be apart of a church service where I grew up. Returning to the church I grew up in is always a rush of memories and emotions. This time was no acceptation and it was magnified knowing I would have a good 2 months to be apart of God's work here in the Chicago suburbs.   


One such realization that hit me was how sure of my own ways I have become over the last 4 years. You know the feelings and thoughts you get when you graduate high school, the ones that say I got this figured out, I know what's up. Yeah, those, I acquaint this realization with those. But after your first couple weeks of college you soon realize you don't have a clue about anything. I had a taste of that being back in Illinois. Why, How is it that we always seem to find a way to think we are right and forget about what God says. This is where I find the words in Hebrews very practical in assisting with this. Hebrews 3:13 "But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called “Today,” so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness." We need to be DAILY encouraging one another to allow God to be God and not think as Adam and Eve did that we know what is best or not.


Yes, it has already been really good to slow down and reflect, seeking to follow what God may have, and not justifying my own pace of lfe 

No comments:

Post a Comment