Friday, February 25, 2011

Guatemala_ Last Week of February

Chicken Buses as they are called here is the main mode of transpiration (other then walking) for a large majority of the Guatemalan population. They are essentially public transit all over Guatemala. Each bus has it's own flare, and special name. Basically they are pimped out. I remember my first day in Guatemala seeing these buses roaring down the roads just packed with people. Like two the three people hanging out the front door packed. And even if they weren't prone to robberies and theft, I still don't think I would ride one based on the way I have seem them driven. Let's just say most of these drives think they're Richard Petty (for you older folks) or Jimmy Johnson (for you younger peeps).  


So the riddle was this:
7 kids are on a bus. Each kid has 7 back packs. Each backpack has 7 big cats. Each big cat has 7 smaller cats. How many legs are on the bus? 
After working the problem out I arrive at the correct answer. However, not being satisfied with the jumbled mess of numbers on my page, I thought their must be a formula for this. It was interesting because Ludin (Sam's Dad) found the answer differently then the rest of us did. The equation on the right is my method, the left was his. He fond the number of legs per kid. I found the number of legs be kids, big cats, and small cats. Ok, I know boring, skip to the next picture. Or you can try to figure out the answer. 


 I have been trying to convince Sam to buy one of these since we arrived. Needless to say he has not yet warmed up to the idea. It's kinda like a Smart Car, but the van size.


Rained really hard this afternoon. It was really refreshing. I enjoyed it a lot. 

1 comment:

  1. A- I think you are smart to stay off the bus. I would be the one who would want to try it just once, just to say I did and meet the people on there. Who wouldn't want to meet me anyway?;)
    B- I can't WAIT to share this math problem with my kids!! I know I'll have like 30 different ways of how they got there, but there is never just one way in math. My gifted kids will REALLY like this problem. So thanks for sharing this!
    C- Love the Smart Van. Next up...smart SUV?
    D- I love the rain!! We are waiting and praying for some. We had drizzle yesterday. Drizzle is not rain, just annoying particles of water that get your car just dirty enough, especially after you just washed it.
    Anyways friend, sounds like you are having an awesome time. Love reading your updates! Makes me want to come. Too fast paced here! Did Jared tell you we are going to Uganda in June? Super excited!! Keep us posted! Jenny

    ReplyDelete